"To protect and enhance the health, safety, and well-being of District of Columbia residents by promoting evidence-based best practices in health regulation, high standards of quality care and implementing policies that prevent adverse events."
Established in 1879, the DC Board of Medicine (BoMed), a division within the DC Department of Health, Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA), has the responsibility to regulate the practice of medicine (MD/DO) in the District of Columbia.
The Board accepts applications for licensure through national examination; waiver of national examination; reactivation of an inactive license; reinstatement of an expired, suspended, or revoked license, or by eminence pursuant to the Health Occupations Revision Act (HORA). All applicants for licensure must establish, to the Board’s satisfaction, that they possess the appropriate skills, knowledge, judgment, and character to practice medicine in the District of Columbia. In addition, applicants must demonstrate to the Board that they are proficient in understanding and communicating medical concepts and information in English.
The Board also oversees the regulation of Physician Assistants, Naturopathic Physicians, Anesthesiology Assistants, Acupuncturists, Surgical Assistants, Polysomnographers, and Postgraduate Physicians in Training. Regulation is achieved through the application process; the disciplinary process and through outreach and educational activities.
Members of the Board are appointed by the Mayor and serve a three year term for a maximum of three terms. The Board issues a quarterly newsletter that provides up-to-date information on the Board's current activities.
The Board meets on the last Wednesday of each month, unless otherwise noted. Open session is from 10:30 am-11:30 am and members of the public are invited to join the Board. If you would like to present a topic, you must schedule a time to be placed on the agenda. Contact Lisa Robinson at email@example.com. Executive session is closed to the public.
Board of Medicine FY 2016 Meeting Dates:
October 28, 2015
November 25, 2015
December 30, 2015
January 27, 2016
February 24, 2016
March 30, 2016
April 27, 2016----Board of Medicine – Meeting April 27, 2016 CANCELLED – No Quorum
May 18, 2016
May 25, 2016
June 29, 2016
July 27, 2016-------Board of Medicine Meeting has been scheduled on July 27th 2016 at 8:30am to 2:00pm.
September 28, 2016
October 26, 2016
November 30, 2016
December 28, 2016
Use the below links to view the calendar, agendas and meeting minutes.
- BoMed Extended-Release and Long-Acting Opioid CME Activity Presentation Slides-September 24, 2014
- DC Board of Medicine Physician and Physician Assistant Workforce Capacity Report 2.0 - 2012
- DC Board of Medicine Physician and Physician Assistant Workforce Capacity Report - 2010
- BoMed Calendar and Meeting Agendas
Past Open Session Minutes
Additional resources and information
- BoMed Application Package (MD and DO)
- BoMed Postgraduate Physician Medical Training Application (MTL and MTR)
- BoMed Application Status Verification
- BoMed Calendar and Meeting Agenda
- BoMed Members
- BoMed Best-Practice Guidelines, Policy and Position Statements
- BoMed FY2010 Annual Report [PDF]
- Board Newsletter
- Controlled Substance Registration
- Criminal Background Check
- Disciplinary Actions Taken
- Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB)
- Get a Verification of your License
- License Renewal
- Search for a Health Professional
- Fee Schedule
- Physician Profile Search
- Physician Profile Update
- Anesthesiologists Assistants
- Naturopathic Physicians
- Physician Assistants
- Surgical Assistants
- Trauma Technologists
- Adverse Event Reporting Form
- Reporting a Name or Address Change
- DC Municipal Regulations for Medicine
- Health Occupations Revision Act (HORA)
- New Reporting Requirements
- File a Complaint
- Complaint Review and Investigations Process
- Customer Satisfaction Evaluation Form (New Licensee)
- Malpractice Claims Form