Learn About FitDC
Ten Tips for Rodent Control
- Store garbage in metal or heavy plastic containers with tight lids.
- Place trash outside shortly before pickup; don't leave plastic garbage bags out overnight.
- Remove weeds and debris near buildings and in yards; don't give rats a place to hide.
- Store opened food in metal or glass containers with tight lids.
- Don't leave extra pet food out; store it in a secure container.
- Sweep up food remains, litter, and trash inside and outside your home.
- Inspect your basement and house for cracks and holes; seal them with mortar.
- Make sure you have screens on windows; inspect windows and screens for holes.
- Keep outside doors closed; use metal trim to prevent rodents from gnawing and entering underneath.
- Don't provide hiding places for rodents; store materials such as lumber and boxes on a rack with a clean, open area underneath. Get rid of unused materials and junk.