For questions regarding the Ebola virus, please call (202) 442-8141.
Adult and Family Education
Adult and Family Education is a federally established agency that:
- re-grants federal and local funds to eligible providers of adult education services;
- facilitates state leadership activities including professional development, technical assistance and monitoring; and,
- maintains and reports state and local program performance, progress and outcome data. To view AFE data and reports please visit the below link:
Starting in 2014, there will be a new GED® test. The current version of the GED® test is expiring at the end of 2013 and the partial pass scores of adult learners will expire for those who do not finish and pass the test by December 31, 2013.
Finish the GED now by:
- Enrolling in a program if you need help. Local programs, funded by the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education Adult and Family Education Department, can be found in our Guide to Adult and Family Services.
- Checking the District of Columbia’s testing policies and deadlines at Finish the GED.
Adult and Family Education Programs include:
- Graduate Certificate Program in Adult Education
- Grant Competitions (Matching Funds and Re-Grants)
- National External Diploma Program (NEDP)
- Monitoring, Professional Development and Technical Assistance
Adult and family education programs are designed for individuals who:
- Are 18 years of age and older and not enrolled in school nor required to be enrolled in school;
- Do not have adult basic or adult secondary education skills;
- Do not have a high school diploma or GED; and/or
- Need to improve their ability to speak, read, or write the English language.
AFE sub-grantees offer the following services to adult learners in the District of Columbia:
- Adult Basic Education (ABE)
- Adult Secondary Education (ASE)
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- English Language/Civics (EL/Civics)
- Family Literacy
- Workforce and Postsecondary Transition
AFE is governed by the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act, Title II of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998, P.L. 105-220 and the Public Education Reform Amendment Act of 2007, DC Law 17-9 (DC Official Code §38-2608). To learn more about the Workforce Investment Act please visit Workforce Investment Act
Adult and Family Education (AFE) develops policies and procedures to guide the administration of federal and local Adult and Family Education Grant Funds.
For further information, please phone the Adult and Family Education unit at 202-741-5531 or send an email to: