Learn About FitDC
Education Licensure Commission (ELC)
The Education Licensure Commission ("ELC", the “Commission”) is a five member Mayoral appointed regulatory, consumer protection authority. They are responsible for public protection with regard to legitimate quality education in the District of Columbia. The Commission establishes standards for postsecondary educational operations, authorizes operations, approves programs, issues or denies licenses to, and oversees all private postsecondary educational institutions in the District of Columbia.
The Commission is the Mayor’s only entity authorized to issue educational licenses and is charged with advising the Mayor and City Council with respect to postsecondary educational needs of the District. The Commission is responsible for ensuring that institutions under its jurisdiction meet and comply with the standards and other requirements established by laws and regulations. The Commission’s granting or denial of license assures students who are enrolled in District of Columbia institutions that the courses offered and degrees conferred meet their standards and that the institutions with which they are dealing are presenting themselves in an honest and forthright manner.
The Commission has additional functions which include, but are not limited to, regulating and enforcing postsecondary laws and regulations, maintaining the student records of institutions which close and have no other depository, issuing certified transcripts, and investigating student and faculty complaints against educational institutions under its jurisdiction.
List of Programs, Services and Events
- Applications and Forms
- Closed School Transcripts
- Education Licensure Fees
- Education Licensure Commission Meetings
- Frequently Asked Questions for Institutions
- Frequently Asked Questions for Students
- List of Institutions Overseen by the Education Licensure Commission
- New Applicant Workshops
- Distance/Online Education Inquiries
- Public Complaints
Policy Licensed institutions must adhere to ELC Laws and Regulations reflected in the documents below. (DCMR Title 38, Chapter 13DCMR, Title 5)
- Education Licensure Commission Law
- Chapter A-80 Regulations Governing Degree-Granting Institutions Operating or Incorporated in the District of Columbia
- Chapter A-81 Regulations Governing Non-Degree Granting Institutions Operating or Incorporated in the District of Columbia
- Chapter A-82 Organization and Procedures of the Education Licensure Commission