Learn About FitDC
Massage Therapy Licensing
The Board of Massage Therapy regulates the practice of massage therapy, including licensing massage therapists. The Board advises the Mayor, evaluates applicants' qualifications, and recommends standards and procedures. The Board also issues licenses, receives and reviews complaints, requests investigations, conducts hearings, and issues an annual report. Members must file personal financial disclosure statements. The Board consists of five members appointed by the Mayor: four massage therapists licensed in the District and one consumer member. Licenses expire on January 31 of odd years.
The DC Board of Massage Therapy 2014 licensure renewal cycle began on November 1, 2014 and end on January 31, 2015.If your license is not renewed by the close of business on January 31, 2015 you cannot work in the District of Columbia. Practicing with an expired license is illegal and is grounds for disciplinary action by the Board of Massage Therapy. The renewal fee is $177.00.
Online License Renewal
Paper License Renewal (To have a copy of the application mailed, please contact the Health Professional Licensing Administration by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 1-877-672-2174)
- The Deadline for renewal is January 31 2015.
- · CAREFULLY read all renewal screening questions.
- · If you respond “yes” to a screening question(s) you MUST provide complete documentation before your license will be renewed.
- · If you respond “no” to the continuing education completion question, you MUST provide complete documentation before your license will be renewed.
- · To place your license on PAID INACTIVE Status, please call 1-877-672-2174 for an application.
If you have questions contact customer service at 202.724.8800
Information About Audits
After renewal you may be audited and required to submit continuing education (CE) documents and current CPR and FIRST AID certificates to the Board.Twelve (12) CE’s must be taken between February 1, 2013 – January 31, 2015. If you are renewing for the first time CE’s are not required and you may answer “yes” to the CE question.All other Massage Therapists must complete twelve (12) hours of board approved continuing education.
Three (3) hours in Ethics,Nine (9) hours in a massage-related course of which six (6) hours must be face to face instruction and the other three (3) hours may be online instructions.
Refer to the DC Municipal Regulations for Massage Therapy for specific instructions regarding continuing education and audit requirements for Massage Therapy.
Application Package Documents
- Massage Therapy Application Package
- Online License Renewal
- Paper License Renewal Form [PDF]
- Criminal Background Check
- DC Municipal Regulations for Massage Therapy [PDF]
- Board Open Session Minutes [PDF]
- Continuing Education Policy approved by National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)
- Staff Directory
- Board of Massage Therapy Meeting Agenda - May 15, 2014 [PDF]
- File a Compliant
- Board Meeting Calendar
- Search for a License