The DC Board of Medicine regulates the practice of acupuncture. The application comes to the Board through the advisory committee. The Board evaluates applicants' qualifications, administers exams, and recommends standards and procedures. Members must file personal financial disclosure statements and must be DC residents at the time of appointment and throughout their service. The Committee consists of three members appointed by the Mayor: one licensed physician trained and experienced in acupuncture, one licensed non-physician acupuncturist, and the Director of the Department of Health or his/her designee. Licenses expire on December 31 of even years.
- Use of acupuncture needles to stimulate acupuncture points and meridians
- Use of electrical, mechanical, or magnetic devices to stimulate acupuncture points and meridians
- Dermal friction technique
- Point injection therapy (aquapuncture)
- Dietary advice based on Oriental medical theory provided in conjunction with all techniques listed above
Application Package Documents