DOH Service Telephone Directory
Select directory to view the telephones number of the various DOH services.
Office of Prevention Services
1300 First Street, NE, 2nd Floor
Washington, DC 20002
Telephone: (202) 727-8857
Fax: (202) 645-8426
Substance Abuse Prevention
Prevention Services focuses on deterring the onset or first use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs (ATOD) among youth and reducing substance abuse risk factors for adolescents, families and communities. Changing perceptions, attitudes, behaviors and local conditions that increase the risk of ATOD abuse are primary goals of the prevention program.
Prevention Services :
- Coordinates the Prevention Policy Consortium, which consists of 15 different District agencies, that provides guidance on the development and implementation of a strategic prevention plan.
- Maintains the Prevention Resource Clearinghouse that provides educational materials and information relevant to maintaining healthy living free of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs and reducing factors that place youth, families and communities at risk.
- Brings substance abuse information and educational resources directly to District neighborhoods and communities in the APRA Mobilizer van
- Provides training and technical assistance for youth, families, schools and communities in the use of evidence-based strategies and best prevention practices to reduce alcohol, tobacco and other drug abuse
- Funds and monitor substance abuse prevention grants and contracts that include the four DC Prevention Centers and services designed for populations and communities at higher risk
- Prevention Services is also responsible for managing programs that prevents and reduces tobacco use among children and youth and ensures compliance with federal and District laws
The Prevention Centers
DC Prevention Centers are conveniently located throughout the city serving residents in 120 neighborhoods of the eight wards. Each Center serves two ward designations. There is a Center for Wards 1 & 2; Wards 3 & 4, Wards 5 & 6, and Wards 7 & 8.
The Prevention Centers are dynamic hubs designed to strengthen the community’s capacity to prevent and curtail the use of drugs at the local level. Each center focuses on building collaborations and partnership within the wards and promoting healthy drug -free living.
The staff at each Center works with communities and neighborhoods to provide substance abuse education, engages community leaders, youth and families in taking action to reduce the risks and use of ATOD and addresses local conditions and elements that lead to substance abuse.