Learn About FitDC
Social Work Licensing
The Board of Social Work regulates the practice of social work in DC, including specialties within the profession. The Board also administers and enforces the law. The Board evaluates applications and administers exams, recommends standards and procedures, and issues licenses. The Board receives and reviews complaints; requests investigations; conducts hearings, issues subpoenas, examines witnesses, and administers oaths; and issues an annual report.
The Mayor appoints the board members, including the chair. The Board consists of five DC residents: four social workers and one consumer. Professional members must have been engaged in practice for at least three years preceding appointment.
All social work Licenses expire on July 31 of odd years. At the time of license renewal all licensees are required to have completed the 40 hours of approved continuing education units including the 6 hours of Ethics (must be done face to face; no online courses are accepted) and 3 hours of HIV AIDS training (this can be an online course). The completion of the mandatory DC social work laws and regulations review course has been waived for the 2015 renewal. Only 12 hours out of the total 40 hours required can be online.
The Board of Social Work meets the fourth Monday of every month. These meetings begin with Open Session (open to the public) at 9 a.m. and proceed into Executive Session (closed to the public). The cancellations of meetings are posted on the website.
The Board of Social Work July 27. 2015 meeting has been Cancelled.
- Social Work Application Package
- ASWB Exam
- Online License Renewal
- Paper License Renewal [PDF]
- DC Municipal Regulations for Social Work [PDF]
- Health Occupations Revision Act (HORA) [PDF]
- Criminal Background Check
- Verify an Application Status
- Search for a Social Worker
- CEU Application Form [PDF]
- Calendar and Board Meeting Agendas
- Social Work Associations and Organizations
- Policy Guidelines - Dual Courses [PDF]
- Policy Statement [PDF]
- Official Statement Waiver for DC Law Exam [PDF]
- Meeting Minutes-Open Session